The right window treatment can transform a room, providing privacy, and insulation – even serving as a statement piece. But with so many options out there, how do you choose the best window treatment for your space?
We’ll guide you through the process of choosing the perfect window treatment for your home or office. So whether you’re redecorating or starting from scratch, you can easily learn how to create a space that’s both beautiful and functional.
7 Steps to Choosing the Best Window Treatment for Your Space
Having the best window treatment for your space can enhance the aesthetics of your room and provide privacy, light control, and insulation. Here are some steps to follow when choosing the best window treatment for your space.
#1. Determine Your Needs
The first step in choosing the best window treatment for your space is to determine your window covering needs. There are various reasons why you might need window coverings, including privacy, light control, insulation, and aesthetic appeal.
If you want more privacy, you’ll need a window covering that blocks the view from the outside. Options like blinds, shades, or curtains can provide varying degrees of privacy.
Light control is another factor to consider. If you’re sensitive to light or want to be able to control the amount of natural light that enters your room, consider a window covering that allows for adjustable light control, like blinds or shades.
#2. Consider the Style of Your Room
The style of your room is an essential factor to consider when choosing the best window treatment for your space. The right window covering can help tie together the overall look and feel of the room.
If your room has a traditional or classic style, you may want to consider window treatments such as drapes or Roman shades. These window coverings come in various colors and patterns and can add a touch of elegance to your space.
For a more modern or minimalist style, consider using blinds or roller shades. These window treatments have clean lines and come in a variety of materials, including wood, vinyl, and aluminum. They can provide a sleek and simple look to your space.
If you have a rustic or farmhouse-style room, consider using woven wood shades or wooden shutters. These window treatments can add a touch of warmth and texture to your space while still providing privacy and light control.
For a more playful or eclectic style, consider using patterned or brightly colored curtains or valances. These window treatments can add a pop of color and personality to your space.
#3. Measure Your Windows
Before purchasing any window treatment, it’s important to measure your windows accurately to ensure a proper fit. This will help you avoid any frustrating errors or returns.
To measure your windows for a window treatment, you’ll need a tape measure and a pen and paper to record your measurements.
- Measure the width of your window from inside the frame at the top, middle, and bottom. Record the narrowest measurement to ensure a proper fit.
- Next, measure the height of your window from inside the frame at the left, middle, and right. Record the longest measurement to ensure a proper fit.
- If you’re planning to mount your window treatment outside of the window frame, measure the width and height of the area you wish to cover.
- Finally, consider any obstructions, such as window locks or handles, and adjust your measurements accordingly to ensure a proper fit.
#4. Choose the Type of Window Treatment
After determining your window covering needs, considering the style of your room, and measuring your windows, it’s time to choose the type of window treatment that’s best for your space.
Here are a few of the types of treatments you can pick from:
- Blinds – Blinds are a popular option for their versatility, affordability, and light control. They come in various materials such as wood, faux wood, and aluminum.
- Shades – Shades are a popular option for their variety in styles, colors, and light control. They come in a variety of materials, such as cellular, roller, or Roman.
- Curtains or Drapes – Curtains or drapes are a popular option for their style and color options. They come in various materials such as linen, silk, or cotton, and can add a dramatic effect to a room.
- Shutters – Shutters are a popular option for their durability, privacy, and light control. They come in various materials such as wood or composite and can add a touch of elegance to a room.
- Sheers – Sheers are a popular option for their lightness and airy look. They come in various colors and textures and can add a romantic or relaxed atmosphere to a room.
Each type of window treatment has its own set of benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to consider your needs, style, and budget before making a decision.
#5. Consider the Material
When choosing the best window treatment for your space, it’s important to consider the material of the window treatment. The material you choose can have a significant impact on the look, feel, and functionality of your window covering.
Just a few of the materials window coverings are offered in:
- Wood – Wood window treatments such as blinds and shutters add a natural and warm feel to a room. They are durable, insulating, and provide privacy and light control.
- Fabric – Fabric window treatments such as curtains and drapes are versatile and come in a wide range of colors and patterns. They provide privacy and light control while adding a soft, cozy touch to a room.
- Vinyl – Vinyl window treatments such as blinds and shades are affordable, durable, and easy to clean. They come in a variety of colors and styles, making them a popular choice for many homeowners.
- Aluminum – Aluminum window treatments such as blinds and shades are affordable and easy to maintain. They provide light control and come in various colors and styles.
- Natural fibers – Natural fiber window treatments such as bamboo or woven wood shades provide a rustic and eco-friendly look to a room. They provide privacy and light control while adding texture and warmth.
The material you choose will depend on your personal style, budget, and the needs of your space. Be sure to consider factors such as durability, insulation, and light control when making your decision.
#6. Evaluate the Cost
The cost of window treatments can vary greatly depending on the type of treatment, material, and brand.
Some things to consider when evaluating the cost:
- Type of window treatment – The cost of window treatments varies depending on the type of treatment. Blinds and shades are typically less expensive than curtains or drapes, while shutters and custom-made treatments can be more expensive.
- Material – The cost of window treatments can also depend on the material. Wood and natural fiber treatments tend to be more expensive than vinyl or aluminum.
- Size of windows – The cost of window treatments can also vary depending on the size of your windows. Larger windows may require more material and labor, resulting in a higher cost.
- Brand – The brand of the window treatment can also impact the cost. Higher-end brands may have higher prices due to the quality of materials and craftsmanship.
- Installation – The cost of installation can also vary depending on the type of window treatment and whether professional installation is required.
When evaluating the cost of window treatments, be sure to consider your budget and the value you place on the functionality and style of the treatment. It’s also important to factor in the potential long-term savings on energy costs and the durability of the treatment.
#7. Request Samples
Once you have narrowed down your options, consider getting swatches or samples to see how they look and feel in your space before making a final decision.
Overall, choosing the best window treatment for your space involves determining your needs, considering the style of your room, measuring your windows, choosing the type of window treatment and material, evaluating the cost, and testing it out before making a final decision.
Call on the Professionals at Ambiance Window Coverings
If you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed with all of the window treatments on the market today – don’t worry! That is what we are here for. At Ambiance Window Coverings we can help you with all of your treatment needs and help you find the best coverage for your space. Get in touch with us today to request your at-home consultation.